Monday, March 10, 2008

Virgin Blogger

Blogging for me has always been the thing I couldn't wait to do tomorrow.  I sort of figured there was an advantage in waiting to blog until you actually have something to say.

I may not have reached that point yet.

But I wanted to begin keeping a public record on my journey to publication.  I say "journey" because I expect it to happen at some point, hopefully sooner than later, but I certainly haven't arrived yet.

I began writing full length fiction about ten years ago in the genre of women's suspense.  The stories were good but not great and I eventually came to a point where I wasn't sure if I wanted to be writing at all anymore.  I realized that genre was no longer a match for me.

A couple of years ago, my husband was gone on nearly a two-week business trip.  With more than enough quiet evenings to myself, I accepted a challenge to write the 7th Harry Potter book for fanfic.  The idea excited me.  I loved seeing if I could take the marvelous world of J.K. Rowling and wrap up all her loose ends on my own.

The fanfic was a great success.  There were wonderful reader comments and pleadings to post more chapters soon.  As neat as that was, even bigger was how much fun I had.  I realized that my heart was really in YA fantasy.  It captures my imagination and love of an adventurous read in a way nothing else does.

So here I am with two of three books written in a trilogy that I love.  The first book, "Apprentice to a Madman" is being submitted.  I'll blog about that story very soon.

And I'll continue blogging.  Because at least for me, I want to look back on this post one day and trace the journey.

No comments: